Town of Shields
Dodge County, Wisconsin
Planning Commission July 22, 2021
Attendance: Chairman Tony Peirick, Shannon O’Gorman, Sandee Macht, Carol Berner, Robb & Christine Bender, P. Joseph Plasil, Cris Folk, David Helser, Steven Yohn and Clerk Susan Johnson.
- The July 22, 2021, Planning Commission meeting was called to order by Chairman Tony Peirick at 7:02pm at the Emmet Town Hall.
- The June 24, 2021 Minutes were read by clerk Susan Johnson. Sandee Macht made a motion to accept the minutes as read and Shannon O’Gorman seconded. Motion carried all were in favor.
- Dodge County Land Resources and Parks Department sent notice of an application of McFarlandale Dairy LLC for a Conditional Use Permit under the Land Use Code, Dodge County, to allow the expansion of an animal confinement facility within the A-1 Prime Agricultural Zoning District with a Maximum 1589 animal units on this site. The property is in part of the NE ¼ of the SE ¼ and part of the SE ¼ of the NE ¼, Section 36, Town of Shields, the site address being N302 County Road K.
- Chairman Peirick began by asking Robb & Christine to explain the Conditional Use Permit. The plan is to increase approximately 250 units (cows), according to the DC units code. Robb further explained the manure management code and nutrient management plan are
- to code and are in place. Cris Folk had concerns and asked the McFarland’s to explain the total number of units and discussion took place to clarify the number of units. Cris also asked if they had enough acres to accommodate the manure and smell the extra spreading would have. Robb explained the manure pit can handle the added manure and the spreading will continue as it has in the past with an average of 14 days per year. The DNR has a plan on how much manure can be put on every acre and they test the soil regularly to make sure they are complying. It is very strict not to over saturate the land. The question of smell was answered “McFarlandale LLC” is not a huge corporation, like the Crave Farms or other larger farmers in the Sun Prairie area who have digesters
to cut down on the smell. As of now McFarlandale does not have digesters to help with the smell, it is a possibility for the future. After much discussion and a letter to the clerk from residents supporting McFarlandale as good neighbors and tax benefits to the Township. Shannon O’Gorman made a motion to accept the McFarlandale Dairy LLC for a Conditional Use Permit and Sandee Macht seconded. Motion Carried. All were in favor.
- Shannon O’Gorman made a motion to adjourn the Plan Commission Meeting at 8:19pm and Sandee Macht seconded. Meeting Adjourned. All were in favor.
Respectfully submitted by Susan Johnson