Town of Shields Annual Meeting Minutes April 24, 2018 7pm
Attendance: Chairman Neale Jones, Supervisor Bob Long, Treasurer Sue Nampel, Clerk Sue Johnson, Assessor P. Joe Plasil, Fr. Anthony, Sylvia & David Kube, Rick Bratz, Bill Blaska, Randy Soldner, Dale Bratz George Schilling, John Liechty.
- The Board meeting was called to order at 7:00pm by Chairman Neale Jones, the Pledge of Allegiance was recited.
- The Annual Meeting Minutes from April 25, 2017 were read by the Town Clerk, on a motion by Fr. Anthony Good to accept the minutes as read, seconded by Rick Bratz. Motion Carried.
- The 2017 Annual Report was read line by line by Chairman Jones. Joe Plasil made a motion to accept the 2017 Annual Report and Fr. Anthony seconded. Motion Carried.
- The Annual Road Side Clean Up was held on April 21, 2017 from 9-11am at the Transfer Site. The weather was cold and there was a wet heavy covering of snow. I know the TOS residents will do the clean up as weather permits. Also a reminder to remove any large rocks from your ditches. Thank You again for taking care of your properties.
- The Watertown Rural Fire Department report was given by Chairman Jones. The beginning balance in the account on 01/01/17 was $34,535.56 and ending balance of $46,973.63 on 12/21/17. Chairman Jones also explained the Rural Fire Department collects $500 each year for the up keep of the tanker. Jones also explained the 2018 Fire Contracts between the Townships. In 2018 Shields will pay $39,420.13, Emmet will pay $57,027.01, Milford will pay $26,530.54 and Town of Watertown will pay $81,460.03. Chairman Jones also explained that the Town is putting together an Ordinance to cover some of the runs to the TO-Shields EMS, MVA, HAZCON, to help pay for the rise in the contract every year.
- The Plan Commission Report was given by Clerk Johnson. The PC met in April to recommend a new home for Julie & Mark Klusken, in August to recommend Mike Henneberry to Rezone 171 Acres from A-2 to A-1 and in November to recommend Gerald & Jaqueline Tracy a Pet Crematorium at N2082 County Rd. K.
- The Recycling/Transfer Site for the town of Shields has been running smoothly. As a reminder; the hours of operation are on Saturday. The dumpsters are not always available for recycling during unscheduled hours PLEASE drop off recyclables during scheduled hours. Putting up camera’s to stop no residents from dropping off after hours was suggested. The board will take under advisement.
- 2017Road Report was given by Chairman Jones. Crack Sealing/Chip Sealing was done on N Walton from RR Tracks North and East to Hwy K, Ranch Road, Middle Road between Hwy QQ and Hwy Q. The clerk reminded the board that we overspent the road budget in 2017 and will need to be mindful in 2018’s Road Plan.
- New Business ;Chairman Jones reported that the April 9, 2018 meeting held on the ATV/UTV Ordinance discussion went very well. Many opinions’ were expressed in a very professional way. A number of town residents turned out and non-town residents stated either why they were in favor of having some of the roads open to ATV/UTV use, or why they were not in favor for ATV/UTV’S to be allowed on town roads. The clerk had also received many emails and letters from town residents. The board will review and discuss. No final decision was made tonight. A huge Thank You to all who expressed their opinions whether thru email, mail or in attendance tonight.
- The Clerk brought up the subject of Town Salaries, it has been at least 8 years since there has been an increase in pay. Discussion too place and the increases were discussed per board member. It was good to have public input, this year when the Budget Hearing is held the salaries and election pay will again be discussed and voted on at that time. Chairman $2500, Clerk $12,000, Treasurer $7500, Supervisors (2) $750 and Assessor $7500 plus PD’s and mileage.
- Miscellaneous; Joe Plasil brought up how nice it is to work with people in the Township. People here are so friendly and polite when he comes around to do his assessment work.
- Chairman Jones reported that the Railroad Crossing on Hwy K will be redone and closed the week of May 7, 2018.
- Public Comment-none to report.
- Next year’s meeting date; April 23, 2019 at 7 pm at the Emmet Town Hall.
Supervisor Long called for the meeting to be adjourned at 8:49pm and Assessor Joe Plasil seconded. Motion Carried Meeting Adjourned.
Submitted by Clerk, Susan Johnson